Christine Betz Hall—Spiritual Direction
“All spiritual guidance and devotional practice have for its function only this… of bringing the persons to be guided more directly into the Healing Presence and then to leave them there. God is the real spiritual director.” —Douglas Steere, Quaker
A Definition of Spiritual Direction:
Spiritual direction is an ancient practice of accompaniment in which one person helps another to notice and name their everyday experiences in light of who they are becoming in relationship to God. A spiritual director, also called a spiritual guide or mentor, offers companionable conversation in an atmosphere of prayerful attentiveness.
- More on spiritual direction including diverse definitions, video clips, misconceptions and helpful articles from Spiritual Directors International.
As a Spiritual Director, I will:
- Offer a time and place apart for spiritual reflection, usually one hour per month.
- Prepare for and cultivate a contemplative atmosphere in our meetings.
- Reflect to you what I notice in your sharing; ask open, respectful questions; offer affirmation; or challenge you as seems called for by the Spirit.
- Strive to use inclusive and affirming language about God understood as active both within us and beyond human understanding.
- Uphold ethical guidelines outlined by Spiritual Directors International.
- Hold our direction relationship in confidence.
- Refer you to additional professional therapeutic help as needed.
- Promote regular evaluation to be sure our direction relationship continues to serve you well and concludes gracefully when the time is right.
- Participate in professional supervision sessions for spiritual directors, always preserving your anonymity and confidentiality.
Directed Individual Retreats
If you wish for time away in solitude, I also offer spiritual direction with an overnight stay in our simple Whidbey Island guest house. You can complement an evening or morning direction session with peaceful hours overlooking a quiet woodland meadow, watching the deer and listening to birds. Contact me for more information.