Module 1: Spiritual Discernment
February 17-20, 2017
This retreat begins a six-retreat cycle lasting two years.
- Better recognize God’s inner guidance
- Strengthen understanding of discernment in Christian and Quaker heritage
- Explore early Quakers’ wisdom on leadings
- Engage an empathic approach to scripture
- Apply wisdom from the early desert followers of Jesus and Ignatius of Loyola
- Learn to distinguish self and Spirit
- Live with courageous obedience into spiritual gifts and leadings
- Integrate content with contemplation, small group dialogue & worship
- Prepare with approx. 200 pages of assigned reading before the retreat.
Participants may continue in the Way of the Spirit program, or attend the first module as a stand alone retreat.* Continuing program participants will follow up Module 1 with retreats five more retreats over two years. They commit to daily prayer, monthly phone conferences, sharing in a private online reflection group, personal spiritual experiments, and spiritual direction/guidance sessions.
* February’s retreat introduces key processes for spiritual formation in community; Later retreats are open to continuing participants only.