Grateful: Disrupting the Powers Together
Way of the Spirit Module 6 for Alumni and Guests
October 26-29, 2018
Mt. Angel, Oregon
With Jan Wood and Chris Hall, facilitators
Becky Wood, spiritual accompaniment
Registration form at the bottom of this page.
Our retreat topic launches from the book, Grateful: The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks, by Diana Butler Bass (2018). Click the cover image for details and a 1-minute video with the author. Participants are asked to read this title before the retreat (purchase or borrow from your public library).
Guiding queries on retreat:
- How are we called rewrite the gratitude narrative from exchange and indebtedness to a Holy vision of generous, indiscriminate Grace?
- What is an “ethic of thanks”? How could we build gratitude in our own relationships and communities?
- How do we resist gratitude, personally and communally?
- Where can we-together energize the power of gratitude in our unique Spirit-led concerns or activism?
Who? Alumni, Presenters, Invited Guests
This Way of the Spirit “alumni retreat” or Module 6 opens the door to invited guests for the first time. The program will be designed for people who have completed at least one year of Way of the Spirit, plus past presenters. We share a precious culture of spiritual exploration, authentic sharing, and mutual accompaniment immersed in God.
Maybe there’s someone you know who’s hungry for what we do together, or someone you’ve wished could have their own Way of the Spirit experience. Please consider these queries as you discern who to invite, then pass along the email invitation you received or link to this page. Questions? Contact Chris: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Is this person hungry for a spiritual response to our times? Does the theme resonate with them?
- How would this person fit into our established culture of listening and accompanying each other?
- Would this person be comfortable with the ways we tolerate ambiguity—including our integration of the Christian-Quaker heritage, and the varieties of language we use for God?
We’ll continue and expand our unique approach to learning and spiritual growth—a focusing theme, shared reading to prepare us, guided sessions, collaborative “meetings for learning,” experiential stretching, varied prayer forms, quiet time for integration, supportive spiritual accompaniment of each other… all woven in the Spirit. Our purpose is to put ourselves alongside the topic with God, and allow the Divine to teach and transform us. We hope a fall “alumni retreat” will become an annual opportunity to explore a timely and outward-facing topic together.
The Retreat Center
The Benedictine Sisters of Mt. Angel, OR welcome us again! Their formal retreat center we used for several years closed in 2017, but the Sisters love us folks with Way of the Spirit. This year, they’ve opened the doors of their home in the monastery. Our meeting space is their beautiful “Chapter Room” above the dining hall.
We’ll have single dorm rooms in a “guest house” across the street from the monastery, above their shelter for homeless families. We may fill to capacity, so please register early. If stairs are an obstacle, there are guest bed rooms in the monastery itself with elevator access. Let Chris know.
Our simple meals will be served buffet style. The retreat center does not cook for special diets. However, a salad bar is offered at lunch and dinner, and the menu is often supplemented by the delicious harvest from the monastery gardens and orchards. Vegetarians and those on low fat diets have felt well nourished on past retreats. If you wish, you are warmly invited to supplement meals. If you live with Celiac disease, please let Chris know.
Fees and Payment Details
$600 covers the program, meals, and three nights in a single-occupancy room. One of our continuing commitments is to tell the truth about program costs, aiming for each retreat to be self-supporting. Fees apply directly toward retreat costs and modest staff stipends. Your $600 registration fee allows this retreat to be financially solid. With annual donations, and Inner Light Soap sales, the high quality Way of the Spirit experience remains possible. Thank you!
Please register early to reserve your place (form below). No payment is required at registration. You can pay before the retreat or when you arrive. Use a check, a credit card through PayPal, or online banking. Make a single payment, or plan installments that are more convenient to you. We will be financially obligated for your meals and room after October 1st. After 10/1 only partial refunds are possible for cancellations.
- Checks payable to Good News Associates, memo line “Way of the Spirit”.
Mail checks to:
Jan Wood, Good News Associates
13730 15th Ave NE A302
Seattle, WA 98125
- Credit card through PayPal option available in September.
- Donations to Scholarships: If you are able to donate more to help others attend the October retreat, please send a check to the address above, with memo line: Module 6 scholarship. You may also use the PayPal donate button on the GNA website, noting Module 6 scholarship.
- For online banking arrangements or payment questions, contact Jan Wood email@example.com.
Please register early (no payment required at registration). We hope to know you’re planning to attend before September 15th. Because we’ve widened participation this year, we may fill the retreat center to capacity.